Black Prince was a motorcycle produced from 1919 to 1920.
This remarkable and advanced machine was designed by E.
W. Cameron of Doncaster, Yorkshire and produced at Prince
1919 The engine used was either a single-cylinder 292cc Union
or a 396cc flat-twin two-stroke with a single spark plug that was designed
and patented by H.
Singleton of Liverpool. Also unusual for the time was the use of flat
top pistons and off-set big ends. The rest of the engine was conventional,
but the motorcycle as a whole was not. The pressed steel frame had two
sides joined at the headstock. It ran down and back to fully enclose the
mechanics and form the rear mudguard. The fuel tank was set in the top
- a design that was to be seen three decades later on the VelocetteLE. Suspension comprised bottom-linked forks at the front and spring-controlled
pivot-forks at the rear. The engine was built and successfully tested,
but the machine failed to reach the market as it was too advanced and too
expensive. Also used unusual 497cc flat twin two-stroke.
1920 All future prospects were lost when E.
W. Cameron committed suicide. With him went the motorcycle and the
Black PrinceRunabout, a three-wheeler designed by A.
G. Cocks which was expected to go into production.
1919 Another £100 proposition is the Black
Prince runabout, a small four-wheeler embodying several features which
depart from the conventional. The springing is by coil springs, and the
power is provided by two Union two-stroke engines having a. total capacity
of 584 c.c. These are placed side by side in a vertical position, and depend
upon a 180 degree magneto for ignition. An epicyclic two-speed gear is
fitted at one end of a countershaft, at the other end of which is the pulley
for the final single belt drive. The frame and body are made in one, and
the total weight is said to be tinder 3 cwt. The manufacturers are Black
Prince Motors, Ltd., Barnard Castle, Co. Durham.
If you have a query about about this page, or have some information to add, please contact us