E. M. Bowden's Patents Syndicate Co
Bowden of Gray's Inn Road, Holborn, London.
1902 The earliest model had a 2hp Simms
engine with magneto tucked in behind the seat tube, on top of the chain-stays.
With a clutch and shock-absorber incorporated in the drive, the rear wheel
was driven by silent chain and the pedals were placed ahead of the crankcase.
1903 The engine, with coil ignition, was supported in a cradle and Bowden
controls were fitted. Another version was fitted with a Belgian FN
engine and some of the models were sold as the New Bowden. Also
used his own engines. It was the name first used for the Bowden
(1902 to 1905) using Simms
and FN engines which were usually
positioned behind the seat pillar with silent chain-drive including a clutch
to the rear wheel. The use of the prefix to the name did not last long
and the company went on to become better known for carburettors and control
1904 The FN engine was still
used and moved ahead of the pedals. Two tricycles
were listed along with a quadricycle powered by a 4hp water-cooled Daw
engine with magneto ignition.
1905 This was the last year of manufacture. After that the company concentrated
for many years on producing control cables, levers and, eventually, carburettors.
1937 General light production engineers. "Bowdenex" Brake Cable Assemblies
and "Bowdenite" WWire Mechanism and Fittings.
1961 Manufacturers of "Bowden" wire mechanisms and "Bowdenex" cable assemblies
for vehicle handbrakes, "Bowdenflex" precision ball bearing remote control,
high pressure flexible hydraulic hose units and fittings. 400 employees.
Note: There was further mention of the name in the early 1920s when
there was a short-lived involvement with a lightweight motorcycle. It is
thought that it was a method of promoting their existing product line as
If you have a query about about this page, or have some information to add, please contact us