Featured Pages Tilly Shilling, Engineer She Made the Merlins Sing
Manx 30MKrieger-Gnadig First German Shaft Drive Motorcycles
KG (EN & ES)Humber WC HO Twins Advanced Machines of Edwardian Era
Binks of Nottingham were motorcycles produced from 1903 to 1905.
The machines were designed by Charles Binks of Nottingham, who later
became famous for carburettors.
1903 The first machine appeared. It had an advanced in-line, four-cylinder
engine fitted into a diamond frame, to drive the rear wheel by an enclosed
chain. It had strutted front-forks and a bucket seat, mounted on coil springs,
for the rider. This was the world's first traverse-four motorcycles, a
1904 A further model was offered. This was similar to its predecessor but
with the engine mounted transversely. Both models had a clutch and were
reputed to have outputs of up to 6hp. That year the in-line machine was
sold as the 5hp Evart-Hall,
and two other in-line machines were demonstrated at Coventry.
1905 Production costs were high, so Binks turned his attentions
to the design of carburettors.
Designed the car built by the Roydale Engineering Co
Note: In April, 1913, an advert appeared for Carburettors as: 'The
most advanced carburettor on the market'. Address is the Phoenix Works
at Eccles, Manchester