Hillman was a motorcycle produced in 1902, by William Hillman.
It had had a number of interesting features, including all-chain drive.
The 1.5hp engine was mounted high up behind the headstock, and the crankcase
became part of the downtube. The magneto was driven by crank and rod, so
oscillated, and the chain drive was in two stages, via the bottom bracket.
The mixture was provided by a crude spray-carburettor - a very advanced
feature for the era. Only one model was built.
Premier were motorcycles produced from 1908 to 1920, in Coventry,
by William Hillman.
1908 A model was produced that had a 3.5hp White
and Poppe engine, Brown and Barlow carburettor, Bosch
magneto and belt drive.
1909 By now they were building their own version of the engine and their
own design of forks replaced the original Chater-Lea.
They took an injunction against Premier
Motor Co over the use of the name Premo.
1910 The single was joined by a 3.75hp V-twin that had horizontal cooling
fins and a crankshaft that allowed both pistons to move together despite
its angle. Late in the year, a completely new 3.75hp V-twin engine was
announced, and this had cylinders set at 45 degrees and kept the horizontal
cooling fins. A two-speed gear was available.
1911 A 2hp lightweight model joined the range. It had its engine mounted
inclined in a loop frame above the pedals. It had a rear-mounted Bosch
magneto, belt drive and Druid forks.
Later, a 2.5hp single was added.
1912 Premier Cycle Co listed at Hertford St. and Lincoln St (Tel.
796), Read St (Tel. 514), Coventry and as manufacturers of motorcycles.
1912 The range now included a 3.5hp ladies' model with open frame.
1913 They produced a 499cc side-valve 3-speed machine, and brought in a
two-speed gearbox and Druid forks
for the 3.5hp single. In came a new V-twin with increased power and out
went the 2hp model.
1914 A new model was announced, but few were built. It had a 2.75hp in-line,
twin-cylinder, two-stroke, over-square engine of 322cc, mounted in a duplex
1915-1916 The range was still listed.
Post-WWI. The company concentrated on a three-wheel Runabout.