Hagg Tandem were motorcycles produced from 1920 to 1922 by Arthur Hagg of Park Street village, near St Albans, Hertfordshire.
1920 The Hagg Tandem was first introduced.
1921 The machine was exhibited at the Olympia Show. It offered more than normal for two people as it was enclosed - from the downtube to enclose the rear mudguard and from the footboards up to the fuel tank, with legshields at the front. It was fitted with a 349cc Precision two-stroke engine, which drove a two-speed Burman gearbox by chain with belt final-drive. It had a long hand-lever starter, of the type to be used by Velocette some thirty years later. The rider was provided with a Lycett pan-saddle, while the passenger had a bucket seat. BramptonBiflex forks at the front and laminated lear-spring suspension at the rear, added to the all-round comfort. There was also the option of a 250cc Union two-stroke engine, and as a whole, the machine was quite advanced for its time.
1922 Unfortunately, sales had not been good, so Arthur Hagg tried fitting the 349cc Barr and Stroud sleeve-valve engine. This was to give more power and less noise, but it did little to improve matters.
Note: For 1923 and 1924 the same engine was fitted to a conventional machine and sold as the HT, but then production ceased.
HT were motorcycles produced from 1922 to 1924 by Arthur Hagg of Park Street, a village in Hertfordshire. The initials originally stood for Hagg Tandem (produced under that name from 1920 to 1922).
1922 The Hagg Tandem was an advanced, well-enclosed machine that, although innovative, failed to sell well. It was fitted with a 349cc Barr and Stroud sleeve-valve engine, driving a two-speed Burman gearbox.
1923 Arthur Hagg changed the name of his machine to the HT. He also added a conventional model that sold as the HTSports and that had the same engine and gearbox in quality cycle parts.
1924 Sales were still poor so it was the final year for the HT.