Featured Pages Ariba Ariba Supercharged 500cc DOHC Watercooled Four, 1928
Riva FourThree at a Squeeze Strange scooter/motorcycle contraption
Atlanta DuoDestined for Legend Road Tests of New Models
Campion Cycle Co
Campion Cycle Company of Robin Hood Street, Nottingham
Campion were motorcycles produced from 1901 to 1925 and had been
1901 The first models appeared. They were a solo with a 2hp Minerva
engine and a forecar fitted
with their own 3¾ hp engine.
1905 The solo had now increased to 2¾ hp and the forecar had a water-cooled
4hp engine and two-speed gear.
1907-1911 Nothing much was heard of the company between those years.
1912 A new range appeared with JAP
singles and V-twins with belt drive, and some had Roc
gears. Shortly afterwards there were two-speeds and chain drive, followed
by models with Precision,
or Villiers engines, as well
as the JAP
1916 The sturdy big twin was now equipped with a Jardine
four-speed gearbox, which was a very special feature in the teens when
three-speed gears were common. The foot-boards were aluminium castings,
as were the horizontally split primary cases. The magneto was an American
which was specified for many English machines in the war years when there
was a real shortage of British built magnetos. Secondary transmission was
by rubber belt and the front forks were Druid.
1920 Post-World War I saw the company back in the listings with one model
that had a 770cc JAP
V-twin engine and Sturmey-Archer
1921 Several models were now available, including a 976cc version along
with 293cc and 597cc sv JAP
singles plus a 269cc Villiers
model - all with two speeds.
1921 Motorcycle 500cc. Exhibit at Nottingham Industrial Museum
1923 The largest twin was listed with three speeds or a four-speed Jardine
gearbox, and in solo and sidecar
forms. Yet another model had a Blackburne
1924 The range shrank to the 147cc Villiers,
and the 976cc V-twin.
1925 They were using Blackburne
engines in two sizes and touring sv or sports ohv. The firm then stopped
making their own machines.
Note: For a couple of years afterwards the company remained in the
trade, building motorcycles for New