They built Connaught motorcycles from 1912 to 1926
1912 The first machine was exhibited at the Olympia Show. They had one basic model, with a 293cc petroil-lubricated two-stroke engine and Amac carburettor at the rear of the cylinder. The engine design was quite advanced and inside it had a one-piece crankshaft, a connecting rod with split big-end and a deflector piston. It also had belt drive, single speed and sprung forks.
1914 Various transmissions were available to offer one, two or three speeds and belt or chain-cum-belt drive. There was also a ladies' version and all had the same engine. An oil receptacle, held by bayonet joint to a tap on the oil tank, enabled the rider to draw off a measured amount to mix with the petrol.
1915-1916 The range continued for those two years and then production ceased for the remainder of the Great War.
1919 They returned after the war with single or two-speed variants plus a Miniature model that had smaller, 24-inch wheels. For the next few years there was little change.
1922 The Miniature was dropped and a 348cc two-stroke model appeared. This had a three-speed Burman gearbox and all-chain drive.
1923 Various machines of various specifications continued to be produced, including a complete sidecar outfit with a larger engine.
1924 The marque was bought by the J. E. S. Motor Company and production moved to Gloucestershire for a while, before going back to Birmingham.
British Engine Builder
Fitted to numerous British and European motorcycles.
Warland-Blackburne was a motorcycle produced in 1923, by the Bordesley Engineering Company, of New Bond street, Birmingham.
This was a reasonably priced machine fitted with a 348cc sv Blackburne engine with three-speeds and all-chain drive, Druid side-spring forks, BTH magneto and an Amac carburettor. As these were all industry standards and available in quantity, the retail selling price was kept low.Sources: Graces Guide
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us