Featured Pages Tilly Shilling, Engineer She Made the Merlins Sing
Manx 30MKrieger-Gnadig First German Shaft Drive Motorcycles
KG (EN & ES)Humber WC HO Twins Advanced Machines of Edwardian Era
Cygnus Engineering Co
Cygnus were motorcycles produced from 1912 to 1913 at Frodsham,
It was the name of the company that built the Swan semi-enclosed
machines using JAP
and Precision engines. Although
usually known as Swan, they were sometimes referred to as Cygnus.
Swan was a motorcycle produced by them. The company was founded
H. Thornton and later changed its name to Swan Motor Manufacturing.
Their machine was unusual, with an open frame of light alloy, braced by
steel, and an inner alloy frame for the two-speed gearbox. It had a tubular
rear-suspension fork, controlled by laminated springs, and Druid
forks. It was powered by a 3½hp JAP
engine. The crankcase was concealed, with the top half exposed, and the
oil tank went behind the headstock. The petrol tank and chain-driven magneto
went under the rider's seat, and it had chain transmission.
V-twin and Precision engine
were also used but Thornton's
father (who had financed the venture), discovered that some employees had
been stealing faulty parts and swiftly closed the firm. This therefore
brought production to a close in 1913.