Featured Pages Ariba Ariba Supercharged 500cc DOHC Watercooled Four, 1928
Riva FourThree at a Squeeze Strange scooter/motorcycle contraption
Atlanta DuoDestined for Legend Road Tests of New Models
1903 The firm was founded by Harry Reed, in Hulme, Manchester. It remained
there for some ninety years - even after the production of motorcycles
1907 The first Dot appeared and the name was said to mean 'Devoid
of Trouble'. Fitted with a 3½ hp V-twin Peugeot
engine and belt drive, the torpedo-shaped fuel tank gave the machine a
low line. Reed took part in many competitive events around the country
and this helped to promote the company.
1908 Harry Reed won the twin-cylinder class of the TT, and continued to
race successfully until 1924. The road range was typical of the era and
the engines used were Peugeot,
JAP and Precision
- singles and V-twins. Over the years the transmission gradually improved.
1915 By now, only JAP
engines were fitted, along with Albion
or Jardine gearboxes with two,
three or four speeds.
Post Great War. A small range appeared comprising a single and two twins.
1923 The JAP-powered
models were joined by a model fitted with the 348cc oil-cooled ohv
British Engine Builder Fitted to numerous British and European motorcycles.
1924 The range expanded still further with the addition of a model fitted
with the same size Blackburne
engine, one with an ohv JAP V-twin engine and another with a similar Anzani.
Harry Reed came second in the Sidecar TT.
1924 Motorcycle. Exhibit at Manchester's Museum of Science and Industry.
1925 The range shrank to three 350cc models.
1926 The range remained the same until Harry Reed left the firm that year,
at the age of fifty. It then passed to new owners who expanded the range.
1927 The range expanded still further with the introduction of several
two-strokes of different capacity that ran alongside the various four-strokes.
1928-1932 The Depression years caused the range to shrink rapidly.
1932 Manufacture ceased after 1932 and the company changed hands yet again,
Wade took over.
Post World War II. The Dot name re-surfaced with the production
of a three-wheeled motorcycle truck fitted with a 122cc Villiers
1949 A single road model was launched. It was fitted with a 197cc Villiers
engine unit and this spawned a series of mainly competition machines, with
further road models following on.
1951 A new model appeared and this differed from all the previous ones
as it had a 248cc Brockhouse
1956 The Mancunian model was marketed. This had a Villiers
1957 Dot-Vivi mopeds were added to augment the range. These
were imports with Victoria
1959 Yet another model was listed. This was fitted with a 349cc RCA
twin two-stroke, but it, along with the Mancunian was short-lived.
The range then became trials and scrambles models in various combinations.
The company also sold the Dot-Guazzoni two-stroke moped from
Italy, in a variety of engine sizes.
1962 The mopeds were dropped and the motorcycle range had already started
1968 Worsening trade meant that machines were only available in kit form.
The supply of Villiers engines
dried up and in the final years the firm used the Italian 170cc Minarelli
unit until the latter half of the 1970s.
1977 Small numbers of the above machines were built until that year.
1978 The company then used a Villiers-type
246cc engine that was built by DMW,
S. Wade showed his final creation to interested parties. It featured
a restyled frame and smaller hubs. DMW
had bought the rights to the Villiers
engine, and it looked similar to the 37A but had "DMW" on the chain
case, and the engine covers were finished in black. However, the availability
of Spanish trials machines meant that their efforts came to nothing and
Note: After motorcycle production stopped, the firm continued their
business by producing shock absorbers for cars and motorcycles under the