1906 onwards. After the death of Alfred Kerry the parent company, East India Rubber, was acquired by Abingdon and the firm added V-twins to the range. Soon, using those engines, they were sold as the Kerry-Abingdon, and models included those fitted with a 3hp single and a 6hp V-twin. It is unclear when the ties with Sarolea were broken, if at all they were before production ceased after the outbreak of war.
1910 Cycle and Motorcycle Exhibition
East London Rubber Co., Ltd.
Gt. Eastern Street, London, E.C. Stands No. 51 and 202.
This firm show the well-known "Kerry " motor-bicycles for next season. There is the " Standard," fitted with a 3i H.P. engine and a greatly improved petrol tank which will be appreciated by the more experienced motor-cyclists. Then there is the " Tourist Trophy " model, which follows much upon the same linos, having a motor of the same power. The saddle is placed low and the handles are brought still further back.
To meet the rising demand for two-speed machines the firm have a 3 1/2 H.P. of this type; but, as there cannot be the least doubt that there is likely to be an increasing demand for light-weight motor-bicycles, there is also a pattern provided with a 2 1/4 H.P. motor, but also having a two-speed gear. A neat spare belt and inner tube carrier is attached to the rear guard, the outer face of the case being utilised for the registered number. A special feature of the exhibit is the numerous motor-cycle accessories, which will be appreciated both by the trade and the public.
1911 Kerry-Abingdon advertised.
1915 Having continued in the same vein for some years, due to the war production halted in December 1915.
1960-1967 The name reappeared on a range of imported mopeds. These were
sold as the Kerry Capitano.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us