Successor to the Great Horseless Carriage Co
MMC were the initials of the Motor Manufacturing Co of Coventry, after the restructuring of Lawson's companies. They made motorcycles at the Motor Mills, from 1898 to 1904, and supplied engines to a number of other manufacturers.
1898 January. Company registered.
1898 At the 1898 Motor Show (Stanley) they exhibited a 'Sandringham' model with an engine by George Iden the Works Manager. It had silent worm gear and for speeds and final drive was by a centrally placed chain.
Production began in 1898 with MMC tricycles and copies of the De Dion engine. The copy was used by the British Army in the Boer War. They also advertised the Motocyclette, with the engine over the front wheel, which it drove by belt.
They did not produce machines for long, but engine manufacture continued into the next century.
1902 May. Roger W. Wallace (Chairman), joined this year to try and resolve the financial problems. J. H. Gretton is previous chairman.
1904 June. The company went into liquidation.
Their buildings were sold to Daimler for £14,000.
Related to Motor Castings Co
See also Daimler
Motorcycles which employed MMC engines include:
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.