Between 1914 and 1916 the range remained virtually unaltered. These were early two-stroke machines that were typical of the era, fitted with 269cc Villiers engines and a choice of Amac or Senspray carburettor. There were also several options for the transmission. Other models included a Semi-TT and a ladies' version.
There was a brief appearance in 1919, with the choice of single or two-speed models.
New Ryder Co., Corporation Street, Birmingham.
IN our issue for October 21st we briefly described New Ryder models for 1916. We are now able to furnish a further description of these machines. The two-stroke engine has a bore and stroke of 70 X 70 mm., giving a cubic capacity of 269 c.c.
The magneto is mounted behind the engine on a platform cast integral with the crank case. Lubrication may be carried out on the "petroil" system or from a drip-feed lubricator as desired. The rear brake is heel-operated from the left footrest, and the front is the ordinary Bowden rim brake operated from the handle-bar. The frame has a dropped top tube which affords a low riding position, and Saxon spring forks are fitted. The release valve is enclosed, and has a connection to the exhaust pipe, and the silencer, which is large and most efficient, is furnished with extension pipes at each end.
New Ryder machines are supplied either with a single gear, as illustrated, or two-speed counter-shaft. Referring to the sketch of the internal parts of the engine, it will be seen that grooves are provided in the piston to assist lubrication. The finish is in black enamel, the tank being black with a broad gold line round the edges. A desirable feature of these machines is the freedom from vibration which is experienced when on the road, denoting careful attention to engine balance.
The Motor Cycle, November 11th, 1915. Page 465
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us