Featured Pages Matchless Flat Twin 1916 An Outstanding Design by Harry Collier
Matchless 732cc HO TwinClement Ader The Stuff of Legend
Pioneer in Telephony, Aviation and Motorcycling
Moteurs AderGuzzi's Grandpa A shaft-drive transverse V-twin from 1904, another deft touch from Clement Ader.
Motorcycles produced between 1902 and 1925, by Osmonds Ltd, firstly
of The Tower, and then of Sparkbrook, in Birmingham.
1897 Advert on this page for Ladys' Bicycle from the Osmond Cycle Co.
1902 In November, the company advertised their Slip-Not motor bicycle, and compared it with their standard Manumotive
cycle. They exhibited at the Stanley show that month but gave few details on the machine's specification or engine. It would probably
have been a Minerva.
1903 Osmonds Ltd was registered on 31 July, to acquire the undertaking
of a company of similar title.
Nothing further was heard of the company's motorcycle for a decade.
1911 Late that year the name returned at the Olympia show when the company was, by now, based at Sparkbrook. They exhibited two models
with Precision engines, Bosch
magnetos, either direct-belt drive or a Villiers hub gear, and Druid forks.
Once again, the make slipped from sight - until after the end of the First
1923 They introduced a miniature with open frame and braced unsprung forks.
It was fitted with a 104cc two-stroke Simplex
engine, with chain drive to a countershaft and then belt to the rear wheel.
1924 That single-speed machine, suitable for male or female use, became the Junior, and a new, lightweight motorcycle, the
OsmondRoyal, was introduced. It had a 249cc two-stroke engine, Druid
sprung forks and two-speed chain-cum-belt drive.
1925 Only the Royal was listed that year, after which the company left the market.