British

Perry Motor Co

Perry Motor Company of Tyseley, Birmingham who made cars between 1913 and 1916.
  • The company can trace its roots back to 1824 with James and Stephen Perry making pens in a workshop in London, later moving to Birmingham and building bicycles. By the late 1890s they were having financial problems and were bought by James William Bayliss, part owner of the Bayliss-Thomas car making company
  • Their first car, a three wheeler, was made in 1899 followed by a forecar in 1903.
  • Cecil Bayliss, the son of the new owner, built a cyclecar in 1911 with 800 cc engine and this was developed into the first Perry car to reach production.
  • The engine for the car was built in-house and was a two cylinder unit unusual in that both pistons rose and fell at the same time. Drive was to the rear wheels through a 3 speed gearbox and worm drive axle. The basic body was an open two seater but a long wheelbase version allowing a dickey seat was also available. About 800 were made
  • 1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices see the 1917 Red Book
  • A full sized car was introduced in 1914 with four cylinder 1795 cc engine. The larger car allowed four seat bodies to be offered as well as two seaters and these were mainly made by Mulliners of Birmingham. About 300 were made before World War I curtailed car building activities.
  • A very few were made in 1919 when the design was sold to Bean cars who reintroduced it as the Bean 11.9.

The MotorCycle, July 17th, 1913.

LATEST PERRY DETAILS

WE recently had an opportunity of seeing one of the latest Perry cycle cars, which is sold in London by Cars and Motor Sundries, Ltd., 175, Shaftesbury Avenue, W.C. Since the chassis was first exhibited at the Show and described in these pages, the Perry has undergone some slight alterations, though the main features are kept the same. The engine is now fitted with a Zenith carburetter, which gives plenty of power and yet permits of slow running. The final drive is by bevel instead of by worm as originally fitted.

The body is of pleasing appearance, and is most com fortable, while the sloping dashboard, under which the petrol and oil tank are carried, is quite graceful. The car is supplied complete for 130 guineas, with five detachable wheels and shock absorbers to the back springs. These springs are carried underneath the axle. The five wheels are provided with brake drums which are detachable with the wheels, and in the case of the front, wheels these drums act as an adequate protection for the steering joints. The steering on this little vehicle is direct. The whole design shows careful forethought, and such refinements as sheet steel valances between the steps and the body, and inner shields to the handsome dome mudguards are provided. Messrs. Cars and Motor Sundries, Ltd., are now able to deliver a limited number of these attractive little vehicles, which should find a ready market.

The MotorCycle, July 24th, 1913.

Perry's Private Testing Track.

The makers of the Perry light car are constructing a private testing track at their works at Tyseley, near Birmingham. The track when completed will be about half a mile in circumference, but it is not circular. Last week we inspected the test hill, which is a short ascent and descent of 1 in 5, and saw a Perry car driven over it from a standing start on the second gear ; descending the hill and returning over the rough uncompleted track, the little car went over the hill on top gear. All cars, which are now being delivered in regular numbers, have to stop on the 1 in 5 hill and restart on second speed before being passed.

Source: Graces Guide




If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us