British

Spartan Motorcycles

Spartan-1920-350cc-TMC.jpg
Spartan 350cc 1920

Ample power for solo or light sidecar work is provided by the 350 c.c. Broler engine fitted to the Spartan.

Wallis and James of Nottingham

Spartan were motorcycles produced between 1920 and 1921. The marque had been previously sold under the Welland B name and was a conventional machine. Engines used were the 348cc sv Blackburne, 269cc Villiers or 349cc Broler three-port two-stroke, coupled to an Albion two-speed gearbox with belt final-drive.

The Spartan 350 c.c. Lightweight.

Previously known as the Welland B. and the Broler, the Spartan is essentially the same machine under a different name. A 350 c.c. Broler engine is utilised as power unit, driving through an Albion two-speed gear box with clutch and kick starter. Doubl row ball bearings are fitted to the countershaft and big end of this engine, which is a cleanly designed two-stroke of the conventional three-port type. Band and belt rim brakes both act on the rear wheel. A light sidecar outfit to the same specification is also marketed. Although not very familiar in open competitions, the Spartan made a commendable performance in both the Leicester two-stroke trial and the more recent Leicester M.C.C. Pascal Cup event. The concessionaires are Messrs. Wallis and James, of Northhampton.

The Motor Cycle December 16th, 1920

Sources: Graces Guide, The Motor Cycle, Nick Smith.




If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us