The prototype had a 996 cc V-twin JAP
engine. This had side valves and alloy heads and barrels which made it
lighter. The engine was coupled to a Burman
gearbox by a chain in an oil-bath case.
forks were used at the front and, at the front and rear, large alloy hubs
were used so that the motorcycle could stop quickly. The brakes were massive
The large battery was fitted behind the rear cylinder underneath the dualseat.
The engine had coil ignition. Further to the rear was the oil tank situated
between the right-hand chainstays.
It was an excellent sidecar machine but had limited appeal to the 1950s
market and as JAP
were not particularly interested in supplying engines to the project for
this reason, the idea was not pursued. Only one machine was ever built.
The company then returned its attention to the production of sidecars.
Note: The Watsonian Squire group can trace its history back to 1912, when Mr Watson made his first sidecar, making it one of the longest surviving
businesses in the British motorcycle industry. In 1984 they merged with the young Squire company to create the UK's biggest sidecar operation based in Blockley in Gloucestershire.