Young were motorcycles produced from 1904 to 1908, by E. G. Young of Nottingham.
1905 He then showed a ladies' Bentinck motorcycle with an engine inclined and mounted below the downtube of the open frame. It had braced forks and afforded a degree of protection for the rider's clothing.
1908 Another model appeared as a lightweight with a 2½ hp V-twin engine mounted low down in a Chater-Lea frame.
It would appear that the Young motorcycles were built only occasionally, to order.
1906: February. 'E. G. Young, of Bentinck fame has opened a Depot and garage at Trent Bridge.
1906 July. 'We are shortly transferring our business at London Road to the principle depot, Trent Bridge
1909 Edward George Young, motor and cycle engineer, 301, Arkwright street.
1906 January. E. G. Young trading as the Bentinck Motor and Cycle Co.
1912. Bentinck Motor and Cycle Co was a firm formed in a partnership between Bernard Joseph Cafferata and James Ogilvie Mackie which was dissolved in August 1912.
Nottinghamshire Archives have images of a Bentinck motorcycle and a forecar dating from c1903 at Harrisons Motor Garage, Newark on Trent. Both have Minerva engines.
Sources: Graces Guide, inspirepicturearchive.org.uk
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.