Triumph Werke Nurnberg

Home Forums British Motorcycles Triumph Triumph Werke Nurnberg

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

1957TWNCornet
    Participant

I have 57 TWN Cornet with a 197cc 2 stroke split single, 12v w/electric start. I picked it up about a year ago and now finally got her running. I am not well knowleged with the split single or two strokes and am wondering if anyone can help me out with the following questions:

1. what should the fuel mixture be?

I started out with 32:1 and it smokes really bad out of the exhaust. I am talking about a very large amount of blue smoke. The cylinder is very warm after a few mins of running and when I remove the spark plug unburned oil comes out. This all leads me to increase the fuel but am very cautious as I do not want to do any damage. Additionally, I am concerned that the large amount of smoke may be due to another issue. The bike sat for about 30 years and I believe there may have been fuel in cylinder when it was parked.

2. besides incorrect fuel mixture, is there any other issue that would make it smoke like a chimney?

Thanks

0987DAVE
    Participant

It may be that the main bearing seals have gone hard and are admitting gearbox oil to the mixing chamber. It could also be due to overly rich mixture.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.