A Brief History of the Marque
Between 1937 and 1972 the brothers Nougier of St. Andiol in Provence hand-built innovative and quite successful DOHC racing singles, twins and fours, often utilising basic components sourced from Terrot and Magnat-Debon.
Jean designed and built the machines, and his brother Henri proved their worth on the racetrack.
Nougier's rather beautiful Tournevis OHC models used hairpin valve springs and a slotted camshaft drive coupling (tournevis=screwdriver), a three bearing crank and a modified separate Terrot gearbox. In 1953 they built a four to challenge Gilera and MV, but lack of developmental funding was a large factor in the unsuccessful venture.
The Marseilles Motorcycle museum (Le musée de la Motocyclette de Marseille) houses a collection of Nougier motorcycles, one note stating "all motorcycles Nougier of 1936-1971". (1)
Jean's brother Henri Nougier raced a Magnat-Debon in the September 1945 GP de la Libaration in Nice, and also rode Nougier racing bikes.
Jean Nougier died in 1999 at the age of ninety.
Notes: 1) Wikipedia and JLB state that they were built from 1937 to 1972.
If you have a query about Nougier Motorcycles, or wish to share some information about these classic French machines, please contact us