OD motorcycles were built by Willi Ostner in Dresden, a small manufacturer who produced expensive machines of high quality in from 1927 to 1935.
Willy was a capable businessman and his brother Carl Ostner, a motorcycle racer and frame specialist were joined in 1925 by Herr Pobel, a mechanical engineer.
Their first machines used the engine cases as a stressed member and the frames earned an good reputation for reliability in the days when frame breakages were common. These motorcycles did well in competition, earning many laurels.
Production machines employed MAG engines of 350cc to 1000cc, including at least one with reverse gear for sidecar use.
When the financial crisis hit, they scaled back production on the expensive larger machines and introduced lightweights powered by 200cc Ilo twostrokes, and a range of three-wheeled delivery motorcycles similarly engined.
In 1935 they purchased the Elite-Diamant concern and began manufacturing sidecars. This gave them a considerable range of products, from lightweight commuters through business delivery vehicles, sports and racing machines, touring bikes and powerful sidecar combinations.
Complementing these were the Elite-Diamant bicycles.
Motorcycle production continued until 1942. Bicycles are produced to this day.
Sources: JF, et al.
Mon Nov 20 2006
s.gutmann at gmx.de
O.D. wanted Ostner Dresden
O.D. wanted, any model and condition, also fragments, parts.
Please send your offer and pictures to s.gutmann at gmx.de