Featured Pages Tilly Shilling, Engineer She Made the Merlins Sing
Manx 30MKrieger-Gnadig First German Shaft Drive Motorcycles
KG (EN & ES)Humber WC HO Twins Advanced Machines of Edwardian Era
Alpha motorcycles were produced from 1956 to 1968.
The company was based in Dudley, Worcestershire.
They became involved in the competition world when they manufactured an
improved crankshaft for Villiers
engines, followed by a complete bottom half.
Fred Cutler who was the Managing Director at the time, then designed an
engine with the induction controlled by flywheel flanges.
A twin two-stroke was then designed. This was a 247cc engine with rotary
disc valves. The discs went between the flywheels in the middle and were
fed by a single carburettor. It also had an Albion
gearbox. They were firstly fitted in a DMW
frame and later in an Alpha frame with Ceriani forks.
Even though the machine was successful, only eight engines were built before
the controlling company brought production to a halt.