Auto Wheel (AutoWheel) was a motorcycle produced from 1910 to 1922.
This machine followed on from one that was first designed by A. W. Wall in 1903, and then became the Roc in 1904.
1910 The Wall Auto Wheel appeared as an attachment that fitted to the right side of a bicycle rear wheel. It incorporated a 1.75 two-stroke engine with a Bosch magneto. The mudguard was formed to act as the petrol and oil tanks, and two flexible clamps secured the wheel to the bicycle and acted as crude shock-absorbers.
1911 The Auto Wheel now had a 110cc flat-twin two-stroke engine, with a vertical crankshaft and magneto above, and flywheel below the crankcase. A spiral gear appeared and this was followed by a bevel gear.
1912 The final form of the design was produced, with a vertically mounted 1hp four-stroke engine.
1914 As the unit was reputedly made for Wall by BSA, some were sold as the BSAauto wheel de luxe, and one was fitted between the rear wheels of a tricyle.
1920 At least three firms were using the unit as the motive power in the manner of the early Singer.
1921 Late that year the Auto Wheel Motorette appeared with the rear wheel powered. It was sold by Gamages of London.
1922 The Auto Wheel was no longer listed after that year.