Brough HO Twin Model WE 6hp 692cc 1920 Photo by Hans Denzel
Brough of Vernon Road, Basford, Nottingham
The company manufactured motorcycles from 1898 to 1925
1908 William Brough began the legend that was later to become Brough
Superior, the engineering genius of his son George. He began making
production motorcycles in 1908. George and William were initially partners
in the company.
1898 Brough built a small car, soon to be followed by a tricycle
fitted with a 2.5hp De Dion
1902 Appearance of first motorcycle, with an engine hung from the downtube
and braced forks.
1906-1908 Various improvements were made to the design, and several models
were produced. The 1908 modelo had a vertically mounted 3.5hp engine and
sprung forks. That was soon joined by a 2.5hp and a 5hp V-twin. They were
all made by the firm.
1910 Brough developed and built an advanced experimental engine.
It had a rotary valve above the cylinder, which was driven by bevel gears,
a shaft, and spur gears above the head and valve.
1912 A larger, 6hp V-twin model was available for touring and racing. The
3.5hp single was enlarged and a two-speed counter-shaft gearbox added.
There was also an 8hp V-twin engine for the BroughMonocar
and there was also a ladies' version, with an open frame and a 3.5hp engine.
1913 George Brough was entered in the Senior TT, on a model with
a flat twin engine, but for the race an ABC twin engine was used as their own was not ready, but he had to retire early
from the race. Later in the year, the firm announced their own 3.5hp 497cc
flat-twin model with ohv, the U. H.
magneto clamped to the crankcase top and the two-speed gearbox to the crankcase
underside. Chain drive was used from engine to gearbox while the final
drive was from an adjustable pulley by belt. It was also fitted with Druid
1915 Only the flat twin was listed, in two further forms. One had a three-speed
gearbox and the other was for racing.
1916 to 1923 The standard models were joined by a larger 5hp version. In
1923 they were joined by a larger 5hp version of 810cc.
1919 George left his father's business in 1919, after an argument, to begin
his own company Brough
Superior in the same city of Nottingham.
1924 The larger version continued along with the 947cc model.