Featured Pages Tilly Shilling, Engineer She Made the Merlins Sing
Manx 30MKrieger-Gnadig First German Shaft Drive Motorcycles
KG (EN & ES)Humber WC HO Twins Advanced Machines of Edwardian Era
were motorcycles produced from 1950 to 1960 by EMI at Hayes in Middlesex.
1950 Production of a motor, made to Dutch design, started. It was a cycle
attachment sold as a complete rear wheel that replaced the normal bicycle
one. It comprised a large hub with the whole assembly within it. The 25cc
two-stroke engine had a disc inlet valve that drove a countershaft carrying
a clutch by chain, with a further chain drive to the hub. The petroil tank
sat above and behind the engine, giving the whole a very neat appearance.
1952 Capacity was increased to 32cc.
1952 Advert on this page.
1953 A complete machine was offered along with another version called the
built as a delivery bicycle with a large carrier hung over a small front
1954 Advert on this page.
1955 The company moved to Chertsey in Surrey and, at a later date, manufacture
passed to Britax. The Cyclemate
was produced. This was of moped style - the engine being mounted ahead
of the bottom bracket of a bicycle made by Norman.
1956 The firm introduced the Piatti
scooter, with a 124cc two-stroke engine and three speeds. It was built
as a unit with the rear wheel, with the whole assembly pivoted to provide
the rear suspension. The pressed-steel frame was shaped in an inverted
bath form to completely conceal the works. Maintenance was simple - the
machine was turned on its side.
1958 Although it was, by now, dated, the original engine unit continued
to be sold until that year. The Piatti,
small and low, had gradually lost favour and was no longer listed after
1960 This was the last year of production for the Cyclemate.