Featured Pages Tilly Shilling, Engineer She Made the Merlins Sing
Manx 30MKrieger-Gnadig First German Shaft Drive Motorcycles
KG (EN & ES)Humber WC HO Twins Advanced Machines of Edwardian Era
Seal were motorcycles produced from 1912 to 1924 and from 1930 to
1932 in Hulme, Manchester.
Between 1912 and 1924 a very unusual machine was listed. It was classed
as a three-wheeled Sociable and was a special form of motorcycle
with a sidecar that had been widened to carry both driver and passenger,
while the mechanics were open to the elements. It was powered by a large
engine with a three-speed gearbox. Both were mounted in a frame built from
straight tubes clamped together and the front suspension was a type of
leading-link with the forks connected to a steering wheel in the sidecar.
It appears not to have been listed after 1924.
1930 A commercial version appeared. The driver had a small open-topped
cabin that allowed the whole of the sidecar to be used as a goods carrier.
Called the Progress, it was revised during the year.
The newly designed Seal had a central front-wheel and became known
as the New Progress.
1932 A very strange-looking carrier appeared. This had its 680cc JAP
engine mounted above the front wheel, which was driven by chain via a three-speed-and-reverse
gearbox. It's unconventional appearance meant that it was not a success
and it soon disappeared from the market.
Progress was a motorcycle produced in 1930, in Manchester.
This was the name used by Haynes and Bradshaw for their strange three-wheeler,
after a revision and the appearance of a commercial model. In order to
increase capacity, the driver sat on the machine rather than in the sidecar.