Featured Pages Tilly Shilling, Engineer She Made the Merlins Sing
Manx 30MKrieger-Gnadig First German Shaft Drive Motorcycles
KG (EN & ES)Humber WC HO Twins Advanced Machines of Edwardian Era
Johnson and Phillips
of Victoria Works, Charlton, Kent of Colombia House, Aldwych, London, WC2
1875 Company founded.
1894 Installation of the 'Kapp' alternator.
1905 Public company. The company was registered on 17 June, to take over
the business of electrical, telegraph and general engineers.
1911 Issued catalogue on switch gear.
1911 Electrical Exhibition. Lamps, cables, generators, projectors, switchgear
1914 Cable manufacturers, electrical engineers and contractors.
1920 Issued catalogue on overhead electric power transmission lines and
other electric equipment.
1937 Advert in British Industries Fair Catalogue as Maker of C. M. A. (Cable
Makers' Association) Cables. Manufacturers of Electric Wires and Cables
for all purposes. (Electricity: Industrial and Domestic Section - Stand
Nos. Cb.501 and Cb.400).
1937 Navigation, cockpit and identification lamps and aircraft cables.
1961 Manufacturers of electric cable, cable accessories, switch gear, transformers,
capacitors, overhead line materials and submarine cable-laying gear. Specialists
in the transmission transformation and control of electricity.
Max was a motorcycle produced between 1907 and 1909, by Johnson
and Phillips, of Charlton in Kent.
This short-lived make first appeared as a 2hp motorcycle of the early
scooter type. It had small-diameter wheels, no seat and the rider had to
stand on footboards to control it.
It progressed to include a folding seat and was exhibited at the Stanley
show, on the Louis
Burn stand. The machine made little impact and soon disappeared.