Lloyd Motor Engineering Company of Monument Road, Ladywood, Birmingham.
LMC were motorcycles produced by them 1903 to 1922.
1903 The first machines were built using the name of the owner, W. J. Lloyd,
who was also involved with Quadrant
Cycle Co for a time. W. J. Lloyd was a component maker and the early
motorcycles were constructed using stock parts from his stores, fitted
engines. They were typical of the period.
1907 Incorporated as a limited company.
1907 Walter left Quadrant after a big row and started his own business.
1908 By now the machines were being sold as LMC, and their 3½hp
single was joined by a 2¾hp vertical twin, devoid of cooling fins. Cooling
was meant to be from the flow of air between the separate cylinders. Although
the company claimed that overhearing was not a problem, that engine was
not seen again.
1910 Cycle and Motorcycle Exhibition
Lloyd Motor and Engineering Co.
132 Monument Road, Birmingham. Stand No. 95a.
The 1910 model L.M.C. has proved good enough to retain without
substantial alteration for 1911; but an alternative pattern is
introduced for short riders, the frame of this being brought down some
3ins. lower at the back so that the reach from the saddle to the ground
is only 27ins. The L.M.C. Auto Vans pulley and free engine, and L.M.C.
footboard starting device form prominent features, while something of a
novelty consists in a pillion seat with footboard, rail and guard for a
lady passenger. The most interesting item, however, is the new model
T.T. pattern, especially the engine, which is to be seen, but on account
of pending patents cannot be described at present.
1912 A larger single was added.
1914 Two-speed gearing was used.
1914 Listed as motor cycle manufacturers. Speciality: LMC motorcycles.
1915 A V-twin model joined the range. For an extra two pounds one could
have the firm's own LMC two-speed countershaft gearbox. A three-speed
S.A. countershaft gearbox was six pounds more expensive.
1916 Other transmission options were offered, including a counter-shaft
1919 After the end of World War I, the make returned with a 597cc single
and an 842cc V-twin, both with three-speed gearbox.
1920 Only the twin was offered, but it was also available in overseas form
with a larger tank and different suspension.
1921 A 960cc V-twin joined the smaller, both had all-chain drive, but there
was an option of belt for the 842cc.
1922 These two ran on for the year and then production ceased.