Featured Pages Tilly Shilling, Engineer She Made the Merlins Sing
Manx 30MKrieger-Gnadig First German Shaft Drive Motorcycles
KG (EN & ES)Humber WC HO Twins Advanced Machines of Edwardian Era
The Pullin Motor Cycle Co., Ltd., Kingsway House, Kingsway, London, W.C. 2.
Pullin motorcycles, in various forms, were produced from designs
by Cyril Pullin, from
1920 to 1925; 1928 to 1930; 1951 and 1955.
1920 The first machine was the Pullin-Groom, produced in conjunction
with S. L. Groom. It had an open frame built from steel pressings welded together.
The pivoting front fork was similarly constructed, and it had pivoted-fork
rear suspension. They used their own 200cc two-stroke engine with horizontal
cylinder, flywheel magneto and combined mixing valve to control both fuel
and lubrication. They also used their own two-speed gearbox, plus rear-wheel
brakes and a sprung saddle. The engine was fully enclosed by the frame,
with access doors for servicing.
Although the design was clever and the looks sleek and modern, praise from
the press did little to endear it to the public. As it was thought to be
too advanced for riders of that era, it was not brought into full production
and then slipped from sight.
1923 The design was revived by the Pullin
Motor Cycle Co run by W.
M. Brooks. Engine capacity had been increased to 310cc, a Villiers
flywheel magneto was fitted, a floatless carburettor supplied the mixture
and transmission was by a conventional two-speed gearbox with all-chain
drive. The external appearance of the machine was otherwise unchanged.
1924 Deliveries began early that year.
A report on the 1924 Motor Cycle Show reads, in part,
"The Pullin Motor Cycle is almost unique in its design. The object of its manufacture has been that of making it a suitable machine for use by the ordinary man who does not wish to don the usual motor-cyclist clothing. In the Pullin this object has been achieved by the adoption of an open frame of unusual construction, which lends itself to the absolute enclosure of the engine and gear box. The petrol and oil tanks are embodied in the frame, and are of large capacity, the former being able to accommodate 21 gallons, and the latter three pints. The engine is of 348 c.c. capacity operating on the two-stroke cycle. A two-speed gear box is fitted, and the transmission is by roller chain."
1925 Machines were listed with 348cc and 368cc engines. It then disappeared.
1928 Pullin had now
become involved with a new project. This was the Ascot Pullin and,
once again, all the working parts were fully enclosed. It had a 496cc ohv
horizontal engine, built in-unit with the three-speed gearbox, and pressed-steel
frame. It also had interconnected hydraulic brakes (the first hydraulic
brakes ever made), leg shields, mirror, windscreen with windshield wiper.
1930 This design was not successful either, so the make disappeared once
more. Sadly, the machines were sold off in job-lots by the liquidator.
1951 After the war, the Pullin name appeared again with the design
of the Powerwheel - intended to replace a normal bicycle wheel.
It was very similar to the Cyclemaster,
Winged Wheel and the early Singer,
but much more complicated. Instead of the usual simple two-stroke engine
was was a 40cc rotary two-stroke, with a static crankshaft around which
the rest of the engine rotated. It was technically intricate and not a
1955 Pullin then turned
his attention to scooters and produced a prototype with a 197cc fan-cooled
Villiers engine, Siba
electric start and a monocoque chassis. It was a stylish design, and although
it was offered to manufacturers, no-one took it up.