1968 Bultaco TSS WORKS MACHINE ENG Number:M100166, CH Number:B100166
The origin of the Bultaco motorcycle company dates back to May 1958. Francisco ëPacoí BultÛ was a director of the Montesa motorcycle company founded in 1944. After several years of steady growth and road-racing success, Montesa moved to larger facilities in 1957. The move was protracted, disrupting production, and was followed by a downturn in the Spanish economy. This slump brought to a head disagreements between BultÛ and the other senior director Pere Permanyer. As an economy measure, Permanyer (the majority shareholder) felt that the company should withdraw from racing. BultÛ, the driving force behind the racing programme and responsible for much of the companyís technical expertise, was violently opposed. When they failed to reach a compromise, BultÛ decided to leave Montesa. Unsurprisingly, the majority of Montesaís racing department left shortly afterwards as well.
BultÛ set up shop in very primitive conditions at an old farm that he owned and things developed quickly. On 24 March 1959, Bultaco held a press conference and launched its first bike, the road-going 125cc Bultaco Tralla 101, named after the Spanish word for ëwhiplashí. Just two months later, Bultaco entered its first Spanish Grand Prix and took seven of the first ten places! It was this success that etched old-man Bulto and his team of mavericks into the history books. Attracting young but promising riding talent, such as New Zealandís very own Ginger Molloy, Bultaco consistently punched above its weight and was considered to be a ridersí team. Ginger Molloy (born 25 December 1937) is one of New Zealandís greatest and most well-liked race pilots of the 1960s. He was also one of Bultacoís most loyal and consistent riders of the period. Encapsulating the spirit and promise of early-1960sí motorcycle racing, Molloy caught a lift from Huntly and a boat to the Continental circus where, with blood, sweat a