Manufactured 1910 to 1923 Advertisements of 1915 and 1920 give their address as Gt. Tindal St, Ladywood, Birmingham. Later they are believe to have moved to Smethwick, Staffordshire (now West Midlands)
1910 This firm produced a pair of singles fitted with 2.5hp JAP
and 3.5hp Precision engines,
belt drive and spring forks.
1912 By now they were using 3.5hp and water-cooled 4.25hp Precision
engines and a 3.5hp JAP
for the TT model. The motorcycles were fitted with two-speed Bowden
gear, Saxon forks, oil tank mounted
on the saddle tube, and fully enclosed chain final-drive.
1914 A 269cc Villiers two-stroke
model was added to the range. Typical of the type, it had two-speeds, belt
drive and Druid forks.
1915 That model was joined by a similar one with a 349cc Peco
engine, plus a four-stroke model with a Villiers
engine and another with a V-twin King
1920 Advertised Model A 2-1/2 hp 2 stroke, Model B 2-1/2 hp 2 stroke 2 speed, Model B II with a Sturmey-Archer 2 speed, Model C 2.5 hp with three speed box and sidecarette (105 pounds), Model D Ladies 2.5 hp 2 speed.
Post War, the company moved to Smethwick, West Midlands, but only had
one model. This was fitted with a 269cc Villiers
engine, either with direct-belt drive or two speeds and chain-cum-belt
1922 Only the latter was offered that year.
1923 Production ceased.
In 1930, the Ixion brand reappeared as rebadged 250cc New Hudson sidevalves which they were having trouble moving in the very difficult market conditions. Using the Ixion marque enabled New Hudson to sell their stock at much more competitive prices.
The company name is also recorded as Whittal Engineering, of Whitall St Birmingham. This appears to be a furphy.
The Ixion built by Primus lists their address as Loughborough Junction. S.W. (1903 advert)
No relation between either marque and the famous journalist of the era who went by the pen-name Ixion.