Paragon were motorcycles / cyclecars produced between 1914 and 1921. The
original company was called Portway-Cooper and R. Portway and Co of Brantham,
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices see the 1917 Red Book
1914 The first model was built. It had a 2.25hp, 225cc two-stroke engine
with petroil lubrication, chain-driven U.
H. magneto, Amac carburettor and
two-speed Paragon gearbox. With Radco
forks and a torpedo-shaped fuel tank, the machine had a distinctive look.
1915 That model was joined by others of 346cc and 511cc that were very
similar except for hand-pump lubrication.
Post-War. As the Paragon Motor Manufacturinng Company, they returned with
a 358cc two-stroke engine in-unit with a chain-driven two-speed gear and
belt final-drive. This was fitted into a spring frame with compression
and rebound coil springs, contained in vertical tubes either side of the
rear forks ends, and which doubled as supports for the rear carrier. Projecting
lugs accommodated the wheel spindles.
1921 By early in the year the makers had gone out of production, but it
was not to be the end of the design.
Note: A revised design that kept the frame features re-entered the
market as the New
Paragon and continued for one more season.