Featured Pages Top Mountain Motorcycle Museum Simply Stunning!
Top MountainLaverda Museum NL Sale of the Century!
Laverda MuseumCollection de Maurice Chapleur One of the most important veteran collections in the world.
Vindec Special (VS) were motorcycles produced by Allright from 1903 to 1914.
They were made in Germany to the British style. They were sold initially by the South British Trading Co of Wilson Street, Finsbury, London, but the company later changed its name and address to Bishopgate Street Without, London.
1903-1905 The early machines were typical primitives, fitted with a Belgian 2.75hp FN engine, belt drive and unbraced forks. They had contracting-band barkes on both wheels. The earliest model was soon joined by a 3.5hp single and a 5hp V-twin with a 45-degree Peugeot engine. Front suspension with Truffault leading-link forks was an option for all.
1906 Magneto ignitiion was fitted as standard, and that year also brought a two-speed rear hub with chain drive from the crankshaft.
1907 After much promotion for competition, a VS was entered in the first TT. Billy Wells came second in the twin class.
1908 Early in the year came more success in a private match race at Brooklands - the first ever two-wheeled event on the track. Oscar Bickford came second on his Vindec Special with its Peugeot V-twin engine.
1909 The range comprised 3.5hp singles and V-twins of 5hp and 7hp. They advertised as the Vindec Motor Cycle Co., of the same address. Later in the year they changed the name to V. S. Cycle and Motor Co., in great Portland Street, London, to avoid confusion with the Vindec name used by Brown Brothers.
1910 The range continued with the use of European engines - the 3.5hp single from Peugeot or FN and the 5hp and 7hp v-twins from FN. They all kept the Truffault front forks, but many of the other fittings were now British.
1910 Cycle and Motorcycle Exhibition
V.S. Cycle and Motor Co., Ltd.
London. Stand No. 42.
The fame gained by the "VS" in first establishing and later beating the
End-to-End side-car record has placed this machine right in the front
rank for passenger work. A well-designed, constructed and smartly
finished motor-cycle, equipped with a most reliable engine (the
Peugeot), and a really excellent two-speed gear, it is capable of taking
a side-car and passenger at a high average speed over any country. Two
models only, the 5 H.P. and the 7 H.P., will be marketed in 1911. The
improvements shown are a neat mudguard over belt rim and pulley, a
spring-up stand, magneto placed behind the engine away from dirt and
wet, and several detail innovations making for the comfort of the rider.
The new type of side-car built to the company's own designs is neat and
1911 Only the twins were offered.
1912 There were further changes when the agent became Martin Geiger, still in Great Portland Street. The engines became 6hp or 8hp JAP V-twins.
1913 Peugeot engines, in 3.5hp single and 7hp V-twin forms, returned to join the JAP ones.
1914 Business was declining and ceased in that year.