A Brief History of the Marque
Manufactured: 1957-1976 (or later)
Commencing in 1958, Giuseppe Pattoni, his brother Giuseppe and designer Lino Tonti produced motorcycles of 125 and 175cc. That year a machine sporting their DOHC 125ccc engine finished in 7th place at the IOM TT, ridden by Mike Hailwood. Giuseppe had previously been chief mechanic of the FB Mondial team, and Tonti is perhaps best known for the frame he designed for Moto Guzzi. Tonti left Paton shortly after the first success.
In 1964, using components from the 125, Paton produded a 247cc twin-cylinder motorcycle developing 32 hp at 11500 rpm. Alberto Pagani took 3rd at the 1964 TT on this machine.
In 1966 a 500cc twin of 52 HP distinquished itself.
During the 1960s they built around ten racing motorcycles which competed in some 150 events.
1976 saw the advent of a remarkable two-stroke transverse V-Four, with the two central cylinders facing rear and the outer two inclined forwards. The 492.6cc engine is water-cooled with a six-speed gearbox and develops 95 hp at 11300 rpm. The frame too is innovative.
The firm began building replicas of their earlier machine for competitors in classic racing, and also built road-going TT style motorcycles using Kawasaki engines designated S1 Strada.
Sources: MC Storico Conti, mcnews.com.au et al