A Brief History of the Marque
Ruhrtal Motorrad Werke GmbH (R.M.W.) firm in Neheim-Ruhr was formed in Bleha, in 1925, after the death of one of the partners.
Under the RMW marque motorcycles were built using engines produced in-house, and also engines from Mabeco of Berlin. By 1927 they were producing 600cc Mabeco-engined V-Twins, copies of the Indian Scout.
In 1933 another plant was opened in Sauerland which built machines under the Phönix (Phoenix) label, a marque which became very successful - so much so that the RMW models were rebadged as Phoenix.
Postwar, the firm was based in Munich and also had a Braunschweig address. It produced mopeds which were derived from other companies and distributed under the RMW label, some being sold in Sweden and Denmark. These included Rex XX and Monaco, Piccolo, Riva, RMW-Lyx, Riva-Sport, Silber-Rex and others between the early 1950s and 1961.
The firm also built engines under the "Pilot" brand which were sold to other companies, for instance Kroon in Sweden.
There was a similarly named Swedish company building mopeds at the time, Rex of Halsted
Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, mo-ped.se
If you have a query or information about RMW motorcycles of Germany please contact us