A Brief History of the Marque
Made in Austria
1931 - 1939 (Tragatsch: 1929 1939)
Manufacturer: Josef Pruckner, Laaer Str. 14 Korneuburg
Pruckner acquired the remains of the York production and began assembling his Austro-Omega machines using mainly JAP engines of 350, 500 and 750cc in SV and OHV configurations. There is also mention of an 1150cc. Other engines were installed at customer request including Sturmey-Archer, and these engines were used in their racing machines. The York was closely related to the British Omega, hence the Austro-Omega brand and the use of English engines and other components. The logos are also somewhat similar.
A feature of the motorcycles was interchangeable wheels, which could be used on both the front and rear of the motorcycle and on the sidecars which Austro-Omega also produced.
With Hitler's anschluss of Austria in 1938 meaningful motorcycle production ceased as the British components necessary for their production were no longer available. This situation was closely echoed when Putin annexed Crimea in 2014, bringing the once thriving economy of Ukraine's peninsular to its knees.
Between 1931 and 1938 the firm built Zeppelin-style sidecars among others.
After the war, in 1948, sidecar production resumed with various styles of body and chassis on offer, both sports and touring. One of the interesting designs was the Aero-Aufsatz* which had a plexiglass domed canopy. Sidecar production ceased in 1960, but the firm continued its involvement with the automotive trade building invalid carriages for the disabled.
Tragatsch | voz.com.at
N.B. Aero-Aufsatz may not be the correct spelling.
If you have a query about Austro-Omega motorcycles, or have some information to add about these interesting Austrian machines, please contact us