Della Ferrera was established in Turin in 1909 by Giovanni and Federico Della Ferrera at their factory in Corso Regina Margherita, Turin. 2
Della Ferrera produced motorcycles of 175 cc, 350cc and 500cc which were beautifully hand-crafted, and not the product of an assembly line. Advertising of the day guaranteed them for 100,000 kilometres, accompanied by the slogan "le nostre moto non si devono rompere", (Our motorcycles will not break).
Prior to WWI they experienced success in racing, and had built a 500cc four-valve single. They also built an engine the description of which sounds very much as if it employed a desmodromic system: "control system of the overhead valves, which makes use of a double rocker arm, which rests with each end on the stem of a valve." In 1913 they built a 500cc OHV V-twin which did very well.
Subsequent to the armistice they went on to create a simply staggering array of new engines, from tiny two-strokes to high-performance V-twins. In 1919 they displayed a single-cylinder 636cc machine with a four-speed gearbox. One popular twostroke was a 125 of 36x60 mm.
Augusto Monaco collaborated in the construction of a 250cc four-stroke supercharged engine producing 13 hp at 7000 rpm.
The 1938 range included 175 and 350cc OHV Super Sport Lusso models, a 500cc SV Tursimo and a motocarro called a Moto-Furgone.
Three-wheeled motorcycle-based light utility vehicle Synonyms: motocarro, motofurgoncini, motofurgone, motofurgoni (plural), triporteur, trimoteur.
Related to Forecars
Motorcycle production ceased in 1939 shortly before outbreak of war. Remaining machines were left in warehouses and reappeared for sale after cessation of hostilities. The company sold the remnants from the motorcycle factory in the 1960s.
In recent years motorcycle apparel appeared in Canada under the Della Ferrera label, and there was talk of the production of a new motorcycle. Around 2013 the trademark was transferred to a UK company. In 2017 there was a website claiming to own the name. It had little content.
The Italian Delia Ferrera twin of 1,006 c.c. and single of 636 c.c.
DELLA FERRERA MOTOR CYCLES (1919)
Italian War Office Models to be made for the Public.
ONE of the several Italian makes of motor cycles which has been used extensively by the Italian Army during the war is the Delia Ferreira, of which photographs showing two models are reproduced here. We are informed by our Milan correspondent that these machines will be made for the public this year, and that the Italian motor cycle trade - a rapidly growing industry - will make a great effort to capture the greater part of their home trade. This fact, coupled with the probable early arrival in Italy of the new American models, will make it increasingly difficult for the British manufacturer to pick up his pre-war trade, which was very flourishing. Several new firms have amiounced their intention of entering the motor cycle trade and many interesting new machines, including at least two flat twins and a two-stroke, are on the tapis.
We have from time to time illustrated many of the Italian machines, which, it may be remembered, very closely follow British lines. The Della Ferrera is no exception to this rule.
The single-cylinder Della Ferrera has a bore and stroke of 90 and 100 mm. respectively while the cylinders of the twin are 80 x 100 mm. bore and stroke. The capacity of the former is 536 c.c.and 1,005 c.c. in case of the latter.
In all other respects the specifications of the two models are identical and include Dixie magneto, countershaft gear, four speeds, dry plate clutch, kick-starter, and internal expanding rear brake.
The gear ratios are 4, 6, 9, and 13 to 1, obtained by two pairs of chains (two from the engine to the gear box and two to the rear wheel). These are completely enclosed. The kick-starter operates directly upon the engine shaft, while in the rear wheel sprockets is embodied a shock absorber of the rubber cushion type.
Notes 1. Tragatsch (p113) writes that the machines were produced as late as 1948, motoclubstoricoconti.it says 1942. These machines were almost certainly built in the late 1930s and sold post-war.
2. Their original workshop was at Corso Vittorio Emanuele II°, Turino, according to AMBS