Founded in 1880 by Louis Krause, the Krause company began production of three-wheelers using Simson components in 1948. It was renamed the Trumpf Piccolo in 1955 and was produced in East Germany until 1958, with approximately 3,000 being built.
The engine was from the Simson SR1 moped and was located on the right side under the seat and drove the right rear wheel. The front forks also came from Simson SR1. The hood covering the front wheel came from the Pitty IWL scooter. The rear brakes were operated by pulling the handle towards the rider - or driver. The chassis was made from pressed metal.
The following model, produced from 1958 to 1965, saw some 4500 units produced. The Piccolo Trumpf 5 had a very similar appearance to the previous model but had a number of mechanical improvements. The Simson SR2 engine was more powerful and was mounted on the left and drove the left rear wheel. The braking actuation was also improved, and the machine now had a maximum speed was 30kmh.
The next model, the Piccolo Trumpf 7, was produced from 1966 to 1975 with a model run of some 2500 machines. This model had a very different appearance and borrowed its front end entirely from the Simson Schwalbe, giving the machine a more modern appearance.
Rather confusingly, the Piccolo Duo motor scooter was renamed the Piccolo Trumpf. See Piccolo
Source: JLB Creations
If you have questions or information about these Soviet-era East German machines, please contact us