The firm was established in 1900 at Berlin-Weißensee and the first motorcycles were produced in 1901.
Early models were large singles followed by a V-twin, and in 1910 they introduced a vertical twin. The company then moved to Berlin-Halensee and introduced cyclecars to the range, and in 1911 offered the model "Selbstfahrer" which was a tri-car somewhat similar to the later Scott Sociable and Bradshaw Seal.
After the Great War the business did not prosper and Magnet himself died in 1924.
ALTHOUGH Magnet motor cycles are among the most successful mechanically propelled bicycles in Germany, little has been heard of them on this side of the water. These machines possess some very interesting features, and we illustrate two of the many models which most conform to British ideas. The first machine illustrated is of 3 1/2 h.p., the cylinder dimensions being 84 mm. by 82 mm., and a low-tension magneto is used. A two-speed gear and free engine is fitted on the counter-shaft of patented design, with a combined belt and chain drive. There are no pedals, foot plates being provided in their stead. A rigid pattern sidecar is shown attached to the bicycle, and a special form of supplementary handle-bar to enable the driver to sit in the passenger's seat and control the machine when he so desires.
The second model is a twin-cylinder 5 h.p. mount, cylinder dimensions 70 mm. by 82 mm. The inlet valves are mechanically operated on the machine by means of overhead tappet rods. Another interesting point is that two magnetos are fitted - one in front and one at the rear of the crank case. The standard tyres are 24in. by 2 1/2in., and the total weight of the machine is given as 170 lbs. Other models are a 2 h.p. lightweight machine and a trade tricycle.
Further particulars can be obtained from the representative in the United Kingdom, H. D. Martin, 18, Red Lion Passage, Holborn. W.C.
The Motor Cycle February 26th, 1908
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.