A Brief History of the Marque
Manufactured in Solnice, Czechoslovakia
The brothers Stránský, František and Mojmír, developed the prototype of the three-wheeled Velorex in 1943 near Ceská Trebová. The Velorex Oskar was based on a lightweight tube construction covered with a thin membrane. Their first models were called Oskars and many of the original parts, such as the wheels and suspension system, were adapted from lightweight motorcycles (autocycles). As time passed, the Stránský brothers began developing parts especially for their cars, but they were still powered by motorcycle engines. The coverings consisted of any found materials, including used work clothes.
Early versions had CZ 150cc engines and modified 350cc PAL twin-cylinder industrial engines. At least one was fitted with a DKW 350, and a prototype used a 600cc auxilliary two-stroke from a Tiger tank.
A factory was established in Solnice and the first series production three-wheelers rolled out the door in 1950, built by a workforce of six. In 1954 there were 80 employees and production had increased to 40 per month.
By the late 60s, the distinctive three-wheelers were equipped with Jawa 250cc and possibly 350cc twin-cylinder engines replete with four forward and four reverse gears, and a sunroof.
They also built sidecars, some of which were styled somewhat like the Steib.
If you have a query about Velorex Sidecars and Three-wheelers, or have some information to add about these 1940s - 1980s Czech machines, please contact us
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.