British Salmson was established in 1930 in Raynes Park, London to make engines for light aircraft. From 1934 to 1939 they also made a range of cars. With the outbreak of
World War II they turned to general engineering.
The French Salmson company had started a British branch company, Moteurs
Salmson, as an aero engine maker for the British Empire market. This
was taken over by British owners in 1930 and renamed British Salmson
Aero Engines Ltd. Formerly these engines were made by the Dudbridge
They do not appear to have been very successful in getting orders and in
1934 started making the French Salmson S4C car under licence.
Car production did not re-start after the war but a few small 31 cc engines
for converting bicycles were made. The company eventually moved to Glasgow
where they made printing machinery.
1937 Aero engines.
Cyclaid was a motorcycle produced from 1950 to 1955, by British
Salmson at Raynes Park, London.
It was a 31cc two-stroke, clip-on engine that sat over the rear wheel
of a bicycle, which was driven by belt. The unit was all-alloy with horizontal
cylinder, flywheel magneto and the petrol tank fitted above. The engine
drove a counter-shaft carrying the belt pulley and the whole unit was spring
loaded to maintain belt tension. It remained on the market for as long
as the fashion dictated and worked well.