emu
British Motorcycles

Gough Motorcycles

Gough Brothers, Joseph and Thomas, traded from works that were located at the junction of Wolverhampton Street and Wellington Road, Bilston, West Midlands. They produced motorcycles from 1901 to 1903.

The company started trading in 1892 and closed in 1903. They produced a range of bicycles including the Midland Mail. They also built a number of powered machines, and in 1901 produced the Minerva Motor, using a Gough frame and Minerva engine and which had a top speed of 30mph, and sold for £38.7s.6d.

There was also the Components motor tricycle which had a 2.25h.p. engine, and sold for £75. A motorised quadricycle version was also produced, which sold for £105. The machines were very expensive and not many were produced.

Souces state that Gough built a machine named Components, but it seems more likely that he marketed one built by the Components firm.

Joseph Gough was born in 1868, and died in 1941. He was a prominent member of the Bilston Bicycle Club.

Sources: Graces Guide, historywebsite.co.uk



If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us

Boxer Performance
Boxer Performance
Increased torque and peak power for BMW Twins.