Cyclaid Bicycle Engines
Cyclaid was a motorcycle produced from 1950 to 1955, by British
Salmson at Raynes Park, London.
It was a 31cc two-stroke, clip-on engine that sat over the rear wheel
of a bicycle, which was driven by belt. The unit was all-alloy with horizontal
cylinder, flywheel magneto and the petrol tank fitted above. The engine
drove a counter-shaft carrying the belt pulley and the whole unit was spring
loaded to maintain belt tension. It remained on the market for as long
as the fashion dictated and worked well.
British Salmson Aero Engines
of Raynes Park, London, SW20
British Salmson was established in 1930 in Raynes Park, London to make engines for light aircraft. From 1934 to 1939 they also made a range of cars. With the outbreak of
World War II they turned to general engineering.
The French Salmson company had started a British branch company, Moteurs
Salmson, as an aero engine maker for the British Empire market. This
was taken over by British owners in 1930 and renamed British Salmson
Aero Engines Ltd. Formerly these engines were made by the Dudbridge
They do not appear to have been very successful in getting orders and in
1934 started making the French Salmson S4C car under licence.
The British S4C had the same twin overhead camshaft, 1,471 cc, four cylinder
engine and chassis as its French parent but the gearbox was updated to
include synchromesh on the top two ratios. The coachwork was to a British
design and was available in four door saloon, sports saloon, open tourer
and drophead coupé versions bought in from Ranalah or Newns.
Two engines were offered, the single carburettor 12/55 and the tuned, twin
carburettor 12/70. The latter was claimed to take the car to 80 mph (130
km/h). About 230 are estimated to have been made.
In 1937 the engine was enlarged to 1596 cc and the car became the S4D.
Hydraulic brakes and transverse spring independent front suspension were
fitted. The new car was heavier than the superseded S4C and in spite of
the larger engine, there was no significant increase in performance. A
curved back saloon and drophead coupÃ© were offered. About
75 were made, production stopping in 1938.
The S6D or 20/90 of 1936 to 1939 had no French equivalent. The engine was
a six cylinder unit of 2580 cc, still with twin overhead cams and the car
was available as either Sports Saloon, 2 seater sports or drophead coupÃ©.
A maximum speed of nearly 90 mph was claimed. Bendix cable brakes were
fitted to the first few cars but later ones had Lockheed hydraulics. About
15 were made up to the outbreak of war.
Car production did not re-start after the war but a few small 31 cc engines
for converting bicycles were made. The company eventually moved to Glasgow
where they made printing machinery.
Source: Graces Guide
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us