Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.
The oil motor quadricycle illustrated by the accompanying engravings, and made by Mr. P. Crastin, Holloway, is actuated by a motor somewhat novel in construction.
A long steel tube, fitting tightly into castings at either end, forms the cylinder and cylinder ends, and means of holding the cover and valve fittings. The tube is slotted in the centre of its length, and is fitted with an inner tube, the ends of which are stopped, and thus forms a double-ended piston. Oil vapour from a small simple vaporiser, with sight drop-feed, is taken alternately into the one and the other end of the cylinder, and thus, although the motor works on the Otto cycle, it gives an impulse for every revolution.
The side view herewith shows the two ends of the cylinder, with the intervening tube and the forked connecting-rod engaging with a crank, which is more clearly seen in the end view. The cylinder ends are jacketed, and water circulates through them and two connecting tubes.
The first speed reduction from that of the crank shaft is taken from the valve driving spindle, which runs at half the speed of the engine, and the remaining reduction is obtained by the gearing shown. The diameter of the cylinder is 1.75in. and the stroke 4in.
Mr. P. Crastin
The views which are shown in Figs. 8 and 9 illustrate a motor quadricycle made by Mr. P. Crastin, of Holloway, and operated by an oil-motor using ordinary lamp petroleum. In the motor employed there are some details of interest, and, though not at liberty to describe some of these, some views and details are now given. From the general views it will be seen that the quadricycle with two seats is driven by a motor through the hind axle, and the first speed reduction is obtained from the rotating valve-driving spindle ; which, as in other Otto cycle- motors, runs at half the speed of the crank shaft. By means of the remaining gear, which is clearly seen, the speed of the motor, which runs at about 580 revolutions per minute, is reduced to the 130 revolutions per minute for a speed of 12 miles per hour, of the driving wheels, which are 2 feet 6 inches in diameter.
The Automotor Journal: 1896 to September 1898, via Archive.org, digitized by Google.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us