Produced by Hillsdon and Co. in 1904.
Firstly there was a 3hp motorcycle with twin rear-wheels, with the drive to their axle by chain through a Dupont two-speed gear. Behind the driver and between the rear wheels was a seat for the passenger.
Secondly came a 4hp model with a water-cooled engine mounted behind the rear axle. This also had two-speed gearing. The driver sat at the front end and the passenger sat behind.
If deemed powerful enough, further seating for one or two extra passengers could be added.
The make was also known as the Hillsdon.
Hillsdon and Co.
have broken away entirely from the usual lines of two-seated motor cycle design, and exhibit upon this stand two very workmanlike samples of their manufacture. The first to claim attention is an unfinished one fitted with a 4 h.p. water-cooled engine. This is placed in the rear of the live axle, which drives through a Dupont two-speed gear, admitting of free engine. In this respect the drive may be said to resemble that of a quad. The framework around the engine is of particularly strong construction, being duplicated in plan. From the centre of the forward axle a large tubular member runs forward to the bottom bracket. A supplementary transverse member placed just above and slightly in rear of the previously mentioned member carries the springs of the rear seat. From this member a tube runs up to the seat-pillar lug. Forward of the seat tube itself ordinary bicycle practice is followed, the front forks, of course, being suitably strengthened and provided, with stay tubes.
Returning to the engine, this is started with the clutch in the free position by means of a pedal gear and chains, though, if this is objected to, it may be started up with the handle in the usual way. The water-cooling is arranged on the thermo-syphon system, the radiator tube being placed beneath the water tank. The petrol and lubricating oil tanks occupy the diamond forward part of the frame, spirit being led to a Longuemare carburetter and oil to the engine by suitable tubes. The machine has a wheelbase of 6ft. and a track 4ft. wide. A basketwork carriage for one person is fitted to the machine shown, but the width of the machine admits of a two-seated body being fitted. A photographic reproduction of this machine is given below. On the same stand is a similar machine in outline. In this a 3 h.p. aircooled motor is used, placed in the generally accepted motor bicycle engine position. The drive is from a long chain on to a sprocket mounted on a Dupont two-speed gear, thence to a spur wheel on the live back axle. The foregoing description of the fellow machine and the accompanying illustration will render further remarks about this machine unnecessary. (Stand 72.)
The Motor Cycle November 25th, 1903. p851
National Show at the Crystal Palace, 1903
Hillsdon was a motorcycle produced in 1904. It was also called the Eddington.
This machine was a motor tandem, powered by a 4½ hp water-cooled engine driving the rear axle through a Dupont two-speed gear. It had a long wheel-base and was well-built, with the passenger seat located behind the rider.
Sources: Graces Guide; The Motor Cycle.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us