Today in Motorcycle History

Henry Meadows

Henry Meadows of Wolverhampton, England were major suppliers of engines to the smaller companies in the British motor industry. Meadows engines powered the Lea-Francis light car of 1924.

1920 Founded in Park Lane, Wolverhampton, as a car gearbox maker

1922 They expanded into petrol engines

1929 Public company.

1930s Built a large factory in Fallings Park, Wolverhampton.

1935 Introduced their first diesel engine

1938 Introduced a six-cylinder diesel engine

1944 Producing 100 bhp six-cylinder diesel engine for marine use

After World War II they started making diesel engines both for the vehicle, marine and stationary markets. Many were supplied to their neighbour in Fallings Park, Guy Motors for use in their buses and trucks.

1956 Private company.

They were also responsible for making the Frisky microcar between 1957 and 1961. (See below)

The company became part of Associated British Engineering

1960 The company closed

1961 Manufacturing a range of 5 diesel engines from 100 to 300 hp, a range of gearboxes for automotive, industrial and marine purposes. 520 employees.

Frisky Microcars

Manufactured by Henry Meadows Limited of Wolverhampton, with Captain Raymond Flower.

Built from 1957 to 1965, most were fitted with two-stroke engines. Earlier versions were styled in Italy by Giovanni Michelotti and included a gullwing coupe.

Models included the Sport (1957-61), the Family Three (1959-64) and the Frisky Prince. The Family Three was initially powered by a 197cc Villiers 9E 2-stroke engine which was located at the rear of the vehicle driving the single rear wheel (tadpole style). The Family Three Mk2 model was introduced in 1960 with options of the Villiers 197cc or an Excelsior twin-cylinder 244cc engine. The Frisky Prince was introduced, and was offered with a 325cc engine in 1966. Not a great many of these were built, and production came to a halt in 1967.

In total, around 1500 were produced.

Sources: Graces Guide; Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum;

If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us