A Brief History of the Marque
Built in England at Letchworth from 1928, these handsome and advanced motorcycles featured a pressed steel monocoque body with enclosed chain guards, hydraulic brakes and interchangeable wheels. It had blade-type forks, electric lighting and a hand gear change, and was propelled by a 498cc four-stroke engine. Like so many others deserving of successs, it vanished at the start of the first great depression in 1930.
In 1914 the Senior TT was won by Cyril Pullin and for the next forty years he was intermittently involved with advanced designs.
After the 1914-1918 war Lanfranchi of Florence (L.V.F.) became an agent for Ascot Pullin.
1928 The Ascot Pullin was announced as the New Wonder Motor Cycle. This innovative machine had a horizontally set 498cc ohv engine; in-unit three-speed gearbox; gear-driven magneto and dry-sump lubrication, all enclosed by a pressed-steel frame. Also specified were wire wheels with drum brakes, interconnected and with hydraulic actuation - the first use of hydraulic brakes on a motorcycle. Also included was a telescopic centre stand. It was even fitted with an adjustable windscreen and optional wiper, leg shields and rear-view mirror. Only about 400 to 500 machines were ever built as, sadly, the performance was sluggish and handling poor, so few were sold. Also announced was a sidecar model with a monocoque structure and this was equally unsuccessful.
1929 The designs were short-lived due to major development problems and by the end of the year the receiver was called in.
1930 A London dealer called Rennos sold the stock off.
Courtesy Graces Guide:
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.