Established by the frères Picard.
Manufactured 1926 to 1956
Motos Helyett, Sully sur Loire.
Les Ateliers Helyett began producing bicycles in 1919 and entered the motorcycle trade in the late 20s, by which time they had a second branch in Orléans and employed around 50 people.
The origin of the marque is believed to be the name of the heroine in the operetta "Miss Helyette" by Edmond Audran. Another of his works is "La Mascotte".
In 1928 they offered lightweight 175cc and 225cc two-strokes, and later added touring machines powered by Chaise OHV singles along with 750cc & 998cc JAP twins.
There was an interesting shaft-drive V-twin of similar configuration to the post-war Moto-Guzzi twins. Built in the early 30s, the MH136 was powered by a transverse JAP sidevalve engine driving via cardan shaft to the rear wheel, with saddle tank, electric headlight and klaxon. They also offered a cardan single at this time, the MH125 with a 350cc JAP mounted sideways in the frame.
Subsequent to World War II Helyett built mopeds and lightweights up to 175cc, some of which were powered by Lardy engines from Ydral.
Postwar models include VMH23 125cc, MHS23 175cc, MH43 175cc and VMLH22 98cc, built from 1952 to 1956.
The firm continued to build bicycles until 1962 and achieved considerable success in racing, winning Le Tour de France in 1957, 61 and 62.
Helyett was acquired by Griffon in 1962.
1. club-ydral.net indicates that only the Orléans branch was sold to Griffon.
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.