Manufactured by Natahoyo-Gijón (Asturias), 1956/1973, under licence to MV Agusta (Italy)
The first motorcycles produced in 1956 differed in only minor respects to the original Italian machines, and were under the MV Avello marque.
Later that year, the Avelló logo was changed to that of MV Agusta on the engine covers and the fuel tank. The new Spanish MV's were presented at the 1957 Barcelona Salon.
The new "Pullman Tourismo" appears that but although well-received is not a commercial success.
The Pullman was a quiet machine that combined the comfort of a scooter with the characteristics of a motorcycles, in particular the large diameter wheels. The Italian version had been presented at the Brussels Salon in January 1953, achieving considerable sales which encouraged much imitation by other manufacturers, but it would arrive in Spain rather late. It remained in the catalogue until 1962.
At the Barcelona Salon of 1958, the 150cc model is exhibited with a new tank, a raised front fender and 18-inch wheels.
Also presented were the Tl8 and S18, and the 150cc two-stroke with new livery. The T18 second series arrived in 1962.
This year marked the arrival of the 125 TR, the first four-stroke manufactured by Avelló. The 125 TR had been one of the rare MV's with a square motor (54x54 mm), since this brand almost always used long stroke engines. This engine set the standard for successive MV Agusta models built in Spain.
The types 125 TRL and 125 SR appeared, with power output of 6 to 8 CV and speeds between 75 and 100 km/h, depending on version.
The 150cc type CC 4-stroke engine appeared. It was a pure sports motorcycle delivering 9.75 HP at 6000 rpm and 100 km/h maximum speed.
This year marks the beginning of the second period of the MV Agusta in Spain, which contined through to 1966. Avelló became more focused on the the manufacture and export of machinery as componentry for the Spanish automotive industry, supplying the likes of Barreiros, Renault and Vespa, and winding back the production of motorcycles.
In February 1962 two new models with four-stroke engine appeared.
These were the 175cc CS, which in Spain sold in relatively small numbers, and the DT which later evolved to the Deva, with a 235 cc engine giving 11 HP and 105 km/h maximum speed. It was regarded as a very good sidecar machine. The model range for 1962 consisted of:
T-18 second series (with front guard attached to the wheel).
150 CC and 175 CS.
Introduced this year was a model not well known as it had been destined for the armed forces and police. It was the four-stroke Nalón, 300cc TT, the only MV Agusta with a cradle frame and derived from the Italian Raid 300. In appearance it differed considerably to the Italian version.
The two-stroke models were no longer in the '63 catalogue.
The CC is replaced by the Sella (7.2 hp at 5,000 rpm and 85-90 km/h maximum speed), with a somewhat shorter frame than the CC, much improved front suspension, and new paintwork - blue with amber-white details for the tank and the toolboxes in light brown.
The range had been reduced to only three models:
By this time the Avelló factory output exceeds 50,000 units.
The 1966 range will consists of:
150 Sella / Narcea.
The Narcea is the sport version capable of 110-115 km/h. with a distinctly Italian sports appearand and with engines considered a masterpiece of transalpine technology which required little more than a regular oil change.
235 Deva (the T-18 and Nalón were only supplied on demand, from old stocks).
The Sella GT was exhibited, along a 250cc version with a tank painted in a similar manner to the Sella and large toolboxes, but which did not achieve producton.
The Piles moped appeared with very torquey engine and total absence of vibration which was suspended from the spine of the frame, with the rear crankcase behind the cylinder. The engine covers were polished.
By 1966 the factory covered 22,000 square meters and had a staff of 350 employees. It was expected that Avelló would manufacture the new MV Agusta vertical twin 250 and 350 cc models. This did not occur, and in 1969 a newly designed 250cc two-stroke was released. The model range was down to four.
The Sella GT was presented, a development of the Narcea Sport. It delivered 9.75 HP at 6,000 rpm and could achieve 100 km/h
Although in appearance little had outwardly changed, there were many improvements. The new engine had the same internal dimensions but had been redesigned with a new lubrication system and valve angles, and enhanced cooling.
A latest version of the Piles moped had a modified chassis and power had been increased from 1.85 to 2.1 h.p. at 5,000 rpm .
Stealing the limelight was the Trigra Borrasca (accompanied before the end of the year by the Trivel Borrasca Super version), a moped with a Puch engine installed in the frame of the MV Piles, slightly modified, joining two Puch models and three MV Agusta. In 1972 the Italian models were abandoned in favour of Puch.
Suzuki purchased over a third of the shareholding in the Avelló firm in 1983, and then the remainder in 1988, changing the name to Suzuki Motor España. They closed the factory in March 2013.
125 MV Avello/Agusta 125-T Two-stroke
150 MV Avello/Agusta 150-T, 150-S Two-stroke
T18 MV Agusta T-18, S-18 Two-stroke
CC MV Agusta 125 TR/TRL/SR, 150cc Four-stroke
SE MV Agusta 150 Sella Four-stroke
GT MV Agusta 150 Sella GT, 150 Narcea Four-stroke
DE MV Agusta 175 CS, 235 DT, 235 Deva Four-stroke
TT MV Agusta 300 Nalón TT Four-stroke
Sources: emeuve.com via web.archive.org, wikipedia.es
May 18, 2001
I've one like this !
Was made in Sabadell, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, Europe... Can you tall me please, who send you information about this manufacturer ? Have you any information about this ? TIA. -- Reply to bellver at tau.uab.es
If you have a query about MV Avello motorcycles, or wish to share your knowledge of these classic Spanish machines, please contact us