A Brief History of the Marque
Maschinenfabrik Erich Röhr GmbH was established in 1948, at which time the firm gained a franchise as a Volkswagen wholesaler.
Initially he was very successful, since Röhr machinery was exported to most of Europe along with Ireland, Brazil, Turkey, Iran and to several South American countries.
In 1952 they created a scooter capable of 110 km/h which was built until 1958 at Landshut in Bavaria using a 200cc JLO single cylinder engine with four-speed transmission.
The tubular cradle frame was designed to facilitate mounting a sidecar and it had a bench-style dual seat. Fitted with 12v electrics it had turn indicators, an uncommon feature for the day.
Options included a luggage carrier and spare wheel.
In 1954 the Röhr firm failed and production of the Rolletta scooters was taken over by Hans Glas of Isaria Landmachinenbau, builder of Goggo scooters and the Goggomobil. In 1955 production ceased.
It is believed that around 1800 units were produced.
Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, JF.
If you have a query or information about Rohr scooters, please contact us