emu
Spiegler Motorcycles

Spiegler Motorcycles


A Brief History of the Marque


Motocicletas Spiegler (1922 -1932)

“Gebrüder Spiegler Motorfahrzeugfabrik” (Fábrica de vehículos de motor de los Hermanos Spiegler)

En 1922 los hermanos Spiegler de la ciudad de Aalen, Württemberg comienzan con la construcción de motocicletas con un modelo que tenía un pequeño motor auxiliar bicilindrico OHV boxer de 124 cc que se colgaba en un cuadro de bicicleta reforzado. Comercializados bajo la marca Schwalbe ("Golondrina" en alemán) también fabrican un modelo con motor de 250 cc hasta el año 1924. A partir de 1923 y hasta 1932 la empresa continuará produciendo los modelos ahora denominados Spiegler que gozaron de una excelente reputación, aunque siempre fueron producidos en pequeñas cantidades.

El innovador cuadro era mixto (chapa de acero estampado y tubular de doble cuna) en el que una gran viga revestida en chapa unía la columna de dirección con el eje de la rueda trasera y el tanque de combustible formaba parte del propio cuadro mientras que el conjunto motor-caja de velocidades estaba soportado por la doble cuna. Las válvulas del motor se podían inspeccionar a través de un panel rebatible que estaba ubicado en el cuadro en la posición que usualmente estaría colocado el tanque de combustible.

La horquilla era un paralelogramo deformable convencional y el magneto Bosch.

Las motorizaciones eran monocilíndricos OHV o SV con cilindradas de 346, 498 y 598 cc fabricados por JAP y Motosacoche, aunque también colocaron un motor de 350 cc con base JAP y cilindro de diseño propio con una inusual salida de escape y un gran codo de admisión a 90° que hacía que el carburador AMAC quedara al costado del motor.

En 1929 introducen un modelo con motor JAP OHV de 198 cc. y aunque la compañía deja de fabricar motos en 1932, siguió involucrada en diversas actividades relacionadas con la industria automotriz siendo actualmente representante de Opel en Aalen. Su director y nieto del fundador, Andreas Spiegler, estima que existen solo 18 motocicletas Spiegler en todo el mundo.


Motorcycles Spiegler (1922-1932)

"Gebrüder Spiegler Motorfahrzeugfabrik" (Spiegler Brothers Motor vehicle factory)

Manufactured in Aalen in Württemberg, from 1922~1932¹

In 1922, the Spiegler brothers commenced construction of motorcycles with a model that had a small horizontally opposed OHV auxiliary engine of 124 cc which was suspended below the top member of a reinforced bicycle frame. Marketed under the Schwalbe brand ("Swallow" in German) they also buit a model with 250 cc engine and a 350cc single until 1924.

HO Twin

Horizontally Opposed Twin

Examples include BMW, Zundapp and Douglas HO Twins have conrods running on a common crank, with one on the exhaust stroke and the other on inlet.

The marque's name was then changed to Spiegler. The motorcycles had pressed-metal frames and included a model with a 350cc four-stroke single of their own production with rather unusual inlet and exhaust tracts. Other machines used engines from JAP, MAG and sometimes Blackburne in capacities of 250cc to 500cc. There is also a report of the use of 350 and 500 cc Küchen engines.

From 1924 until 1932 the company continued to produce models under the Spiegler brand which enjoyed an excellent reputation, although they were always produced in small quantities.

The innovative frame was was constructed of both pressed steel plate and tubular double loop. A large beam covered in sheet metal bridged the steering head with the rear wheel axle and the fuel tank was integral with the frame itself, while the engine and gearbox was supported by the double cradle. The engine valves could be inspected through a folding panel which was located in the frame in the position that would usually be placed in the fuel tank.

The fork was a conventional deformable parallelogram design.

The engines were single-cylinder OHV or SV units with displacements of 346, 498 and 598 cc, manufactured by JAP and MAG, and also a 350cc engine with JAP bottom end and a cylinder of their own design. It had an unusual large diameter exhaust header and a large an inlet tract at 90 ° with the AMAC carburetor on the side of the engine. The engine was fitted with a Bosch magnetos.

In 1929 they introduced a model with JAP OHV engine. The company ceased manufacturing motorcycles in 1932 but it remained involved in various activities related to the automotive industry and is currently representative for Opel in Aalen. Its director and grandson of the founder, Andreas Spiegler, estimates that there are only 18 Spiegler motorcycles remaining.

Notes1. Sources vary on construction dates, giving 1922, 23 and 24 until 1931 or 32.
Sources: François-Marie Dumas, GTU Oldtimerservice, spiegler-automobile.de, Sergio Scalerandi.




If you have a query or information about Spiegler machines, please contact us

Classic Motorcycle Fibreglass
Classic Motorcycle Fibreglass
Tanks, seats, guards and fairings for classic bikes, cafe racers and post-classic motorcycles.